81 Tagore Lane, TAG A, #01-11 Singapore 787502 ♦ Reservation : +65 6727 5599
Welcoming a child into the world is an exhilarating experience, and every culture has its traditions to ensure a mother’s swift recovery. In the Chinese tradition, one such staple is red dates tea—a nurturing elixir that is often deemed the go-to drink during postpartum confinement. Ever wondered why? Let’s dive deep into the world of this therapeutic beverage.
What’s In A Cup of Red Dates Tea?
A cup of red dates tea is much more than its delightful, naturally sweet taste; it’s an infusion of nature’s best gifts. This tea primarily contains red dates, also known as jujubes, which lend it a deep amber colour and a flavour profile that is subtly sweet, reminiscent of apples or pears. One of the lesser-known facts about this tea is its rich Vitamin C content—a powerhouse antioxidant that plays an essential role in maintaining our health.
Benefits of Red Dates Tea in Postnatal Care
- Nourishing the Blood and Replenishing Qi: Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) gives special importance to the roles of blood and Qi (what’s often referred to as vital energy) when it comes to overall well-being. Red dates tea is more than just a warm drink; it serves as a tonic. It helps nourish the blood, boosts blood circulation, and revitalizes Qi. All of these combined ensure that after childbirth, mothers can recover and get back to their full strength more efficiently.
- Good Source of Vitamin C: One of the standout components of red dates is their high Vitamin C content. For new mothers, this vitamin is incredibly helpful. Not only does it boost the absorption of non-heme iron from vegetarian sources like spinach or kale, but it also plays a crucial role in processes like collagen formation, aiding wound healing, and producing red blood cells. Each sip of red date longan tea is a step towards fulfilling the body’s demand for this essential vitamin during postpartum recovery.
- Supporting Milk Production: Hydration is crucial, especially for mothers who are breastfeeding. Some might find the taste of plain water too bland, and that’s where red dates tea comes in handy. This naturally sweet and flavourful drink helps to keep you hydrated.
- Promoting Calmness and Better Sleep: The weeks and months following childbirth can feel like a rollercoaster. Hormonal shifts, adapting to new routines, and the overall journey of motherhood can sometimes make restful sleep hard to come by. However, red dates tea with longan has qualities that promote relaxation based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. By drinking this tea, new moms might find it easier to unwind and enjoy a more tranquil sleep, essential for both mental and physical recovery.
How to Prepare Red Dates Tea
Making red dates tea is a simple yet rewarding experience. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Ingredients and measurements:
- Red dates: 10-12 pieces
- Water: 1 liter
- Optional: Goji berries, longan, or ginger slices for added benefits and taste.
- Wash the red dates thoroughly. For enhanced flavour, you can slightly break them open.
- Place the red dates in a pot and pour in the water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- If you’re adding goji berries, longan, or ginger slices, add them in the last 10 minutes of boiling.
- Strain, serve warm, and enjoy the red dates tea benefits!
Generally, for postnatal mothers, drinking 2-3 cups a day is recommended, but always consult with your healthcare professional for personalised advice.
Your Meals with Us are Served with Red Dates Tea
At Tian Wei Signature, we cherish and uphold the traditions that prioritise a mother’s well-being. That’s why every confinement meal we serve is accompanied by a serving of our specially prepared red dates tea. And the best part? We deliver these nurturing meals right to your doorstep, ensuring lunch and dinner become the rejuvenating and nourishing experiences every new mother deserves.
Red dates tea holds a special place in the heart of postnatal care. This traditional drink is cherished not just for its flavour, but for the boost it provides to new mothers during their recovery. So, if your confinement is just around the corner, remember to have a sip or two daily. Cheers to a smooth recovery and cherished traditions!
As you embark on this beautiful journey of motherhood, let us be a part of it. Explore our menu, reviewed by our in-house dietitian to ensure a well-balanced diet for you, and also breastfeeding-friendly to support lactation. Book a month before your EDD and enjoy an early bird discount of up to $128. Visit our menu page now.